The Inn was built by Terry Baldwin, the former owner of Annaburroo Station, in 1963. After arriving from New Zealand in 1950 on the hunt for adventure, Baldwin travelled through the outback in New South Wales. Known for its crocodiles, Barramundi, and buffalo, the country was sparse. He built the pub by hand, using ironwood and materials he could get his hands on in the local vicinity. Using the help of the local Aboriginal people, he created a strong bond with them. When Kakadu National Park was opened in the 1980s, the Arnhem Highway was built right outside the Inn. The highway was important in boosting tourism and bringing an influx of curious travellers with it.